Previous names: Inter-Sorority Alumnae Club; City Panhellenic
VAPA is the Vancouver Alumnae Panhellenic Association. Although officially chartered as an Alumnae Panhellenic of the National Panhellenic Conference in 2003, the association’s roots stretch far back in UBC’s history.
The earliest written account of sorority alumnae coming together was found in University Senate minutes from 1935. The minutes referenced an “inter-sorority alumnae club” who had made available a bursary in the amount of $150, to be awarded on the recommendation of the Dean of Women. This bursary provided considerable financial aid. Indexed to today’s dollar, this bursary would be about $2500. Continuing for many years, this group of women awarded bursaries to deserving female UBC students.
It was not until the mid-1950’s that discussions started taking place among sorority members about the possibility of building a sorority house. It was on February 9, 1955, that Dr. Dorothy Mawdsley, Dean of Women, asked the Senate, on behalf of a sorority member, if the women would be permitted to have a sorority house on campus. This desire for campus housing in which to accommodate out-of-town students was not exclusive to sorority members; the development of campus housing was a hot topic in those years.
Thanks to the fundraising efforts of the Alumnae Panhellenic, we have had a Panhellenic House to call our home since 1959.